8.24.2011

My shabby antique corner cabinet!

  I adore this cabinet! My family was heading back home from our daughter's college graduation last December. As we always do we shopped on the way home. We like to visit Laurent Street Antiques in Victoria as they are a mall with lots of vendors. They did not disappoint me! This cabinet was in a back room, undecorated, all by it's lonesome and with a big SALE sign on it! It was talking to me! I took my husband back to look at it and of course, what do ALL husbands say??? "Where are you going to put it?", right? I had a corner cabinet I was NOT in love with anymore so it was going......I told him I was going to make an offer and if they took it, great, if not, I wouldn't buy it! He seemed pleased with that! Especially since "he" would have to unload our bags and stuff in the back of the truck to fit this in! He was secretly hoping they would not accept my offer! Well, you know the answer and it is now in my hallway corner and brimming with favorite things!
  This cabinet is oak and would look wonderful refinished BUT who in their right mind would screw up that great shabby peely gray and pink paint? Not me! Now for the contents.....remember, you can click on all my pictures to get a better closeup view! I have little antique cups/mugs with all kinds of sayings...the one behind my handsome son's senior photo, one of many, has my initials! The little hearts frame is my husband with this same son as a baby! The small antique boxes are from my mothers collection. The dried flowers are one of my daughter's bridesmaids bouquets from her January wedding. And I have a matching vintage brooch and bracelet made of lucite and aqua berries found on eBay. I have a small tole tray at the back...I collect those, too! The large photo in the back corner is of my children long ago at their grandparent's home, looking out the dining room window one Easter. By the way, my parent's own the William Jennings Bryan home in Mission, TX. He lived here only briefly and there is a state historical monument out front.
  This shelf has one of my daughter's senior photos next to a wedding memento. There are more antique boxes, a antique paperweight and antique pincushion. There are 2 antique sterling repousse bud vases, unpolished sorry, with Charlotte's bridal bouquet next to them. There is also a very small jar FULL of old monopoly game pieces, love them! I collect antique mirrors so one is a backdrop on this shelf, several embellished domino holder/stands that I made and a tiny purple wooden bench found long ago at an antiques mall.
  From my recent purchase of milk glass came these wonderful medicine bottles. In all our 30 plus years in the antiques business I can say that I had never seen them in milk glass before. I found the little aluminum "laugh" letters on Etsy, the cups held heart shaped sweethearts conversation candies at the wedding and the vases & pewter goblet held individual fresh flowers there, too. The enameled flower decorated opaque glass box is an estate sale find. And check out another of my son's senior pictures sitting with a tiny hand painted vase on a little wooden lavender chair. It is one of my favorites of him with his bass from orchestra.
 This shelf holds more domino holders, dried flowers, antique milk glass medicine bottles and another of Charlotte's senior pictures. It was taken at a railroad loading station with a train car in the background. These sterling and milk glass candle holders were used at the wedding along with another bridesmaids bouquet. We also used the old scale in the wedding decorations and yes, I collect all kinds of clear jars and old mother of pearl buttons, any size! I collect LOTS of different things!!
  These galvanized buckets with enameled number hanging tags my daughter found at TJ Maxx for a song and we used these to hold flower arrangements on each table at the reception. They were awesome and we had lots of comments about them. The mercury glass type candleholders were also at the wedding/reception.
  I love the little wooden beaded trim around the top of this cabinet and please take note of the use of faded pink paint on the carvings. I am so glad to have found this wonderful piece and I have loved filling it with favorite things!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment